Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Missing Out

Teeny tiny fingers and toes. Little nose and ears and lips. I love little babies. Of course, who doesn't? I know its not all flowers and butterflies caring for a little one but I will take this any day over never having kids.

As we think about possibly adopting from foster care in the future I can't help but think about the fact that rarely are the children babies. It does happen on occasion but when it does of course there are lots of families that want a baby rather than an older child.

It seems like many children that you adopt from foster care would be toddlers or older. We are open to accepting toddlers but I think how hard it would be to miss out on all the baby stages that they go through. I want to be there for all of that.

I'm not sure domestic newborn adoption will be our best option with each subsequent child. Reasons for this include cost, waiting times, lots of families to "compete" with. Plus, these children in foster care need families that are willing to provide them a safe, nurturing and stable environment. Why not take a child out of the system?

Just something I've been thinking about lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment