Sunday, January 8, 2012

Instead Of Trash Bags...

Close your eyes, well not really since your reading, but imagine for just a minute that you are a child who is being taken away from your parents. It could be in the middle of the night or you could be at school thinking it was like any other day. But, when school gets over a social worker picks you up. 

Your scared, sad, worried, confused and wondering what is going to happen next.

A lot of times when these children are taken from their homes or school it is a stressful, traumatic event. Making sure your child has everything they need (special blanket, toy, etc.) when they go to a foster home is not the first thing on these parents minds. Many times an investigator, cop or social worker might be grabbing things. Although this is great that they are taking things that might be important to the child these items get thrown into a garbage bag. A garbage bag really? What do we typically associate a trash bag with? Garbage and things that are of no value or importance. Certainly not a favorite toy or blanket or a picture of mom and dad.

This brings me to my little project I'm working on. Actually one that one of our foster care trainers is doing but asking us if anyone wants to help. She said a child of hers (who was in foster care but is now adopted) asked her how she would feel if all of a sudden somebody comes and takes you away and throws your stuff in a garbage bag. That really made her think, so she is out to make drawstring bags to provide to agencies that they can put these kid's items in.

I went out and got some fabric and my grandma helped me make one today. I love knowing that the bag will go to a child who really needs it and knowing that their stuff isn't going to be put in a trash bag. I'm going to try to make some more as many as I think I can.

If anyone is interested in making any that would be great! It just takes a yard of fabric. It is kind of like a pillowcase but you make a casing so you can put a string of some kind so that you can pull it closed. Just like a drawstring bag. Our trainer says she uses clothesline twine for the string. I actually cut about 3 inches off of the fabric to make a string out of that so it would match. It turned out cute.

Here are a few pictures of one.



Now how much better does that look compared to a garbage bag? I'm super excited to make some more. But, if anyone out there is interested in making any that would make me even more super excited. Just remember, its going to a REALLY good cause. Or, if you have any extra scrap fabric that would also be great!! Just contact me either way if you think you would be interested.  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy!
    I've been following your blog on my Google Reader and saw this post. I will look through my extra fabric to see if I have any that might work for you to use! That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a-dor-able!!! What a great idea, Sam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked up with you on my blog. Hoping you get some more traffic for this project. It's a super idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim!! I really appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edwin was in foster homes for a couple of years before he was adopted. What a ministry. pss. LOVE the bags! keep sewing...who knew those sewing classes might lead to this! GOD Always amazing isn't it

    ReplyDelete