Monday, June 27, 2011

Bible Study

Hey all! Hope you are doing well. 

Last week some of us ladies from church started on a bible study and the picture above is the book we are working through. Its about the names of the Lord and that knowing and understanding these names can help us know God more fully. This week we are starting at studying a few different names of God. The first week we talked about boasting in the name of the Lord and where/who do we run to in times of trouble.

There were a few things/paragraphs that caught my attention on that first chapter. Its just 2 parts out of 2 paragraphs that made me think a little. So, these quotes are straight from the book.


"Where do you run in time of need? When the hounds of trouble, worry, and fear pursue you; when the dogs of temptation, corruption, and evil seek to overtake you; when your energy is spent; when weakness saps you; when you feel you cannot run any longer, where do you turn? Do you turn to your protector, the One who stands with arms opened wide, waiting for you to come and bury yourself in the security of all He is?"

"When you are in trouble, what is your first instinct? Do you run to others or to God? Is it usually the counsel of another rather than the counsel found in waiting upon God in prayer? Why is this the way it is? Why do we (why do I) run to man before we (I) run to God?"  Once again..those two paragraphs taken straight from the book.

I felt like in those two paragraphs God was pointing something out to me. I don't run to Him when I feel worried, upset, frustrated, concerned. I admit that I run to someone who I feel will give me an instant answer, something that I want to hear or something that I don't have to wait for an answer.

My whole life I've struggled with being impatient, waiting, wanting things/answers instantly. Ask anyone that's known me for a while. I always joked around before about it and thought it was funny and that it was just part of who I was. Ahh..how horrible is that and how wrong is that? It wasn't until the Lord brought infertility in my life did He begin to show me this ugly sin.

With God's grace I'm praying that He will always be the One I run to rather than to man.

There is a song out by Kutless called "I'm Still Yours" that I find encouraging. These are just a few lyrics that I like;

"When my life is not what I expected


The plans I made have failed

When there's nothing left to steal me away

Will You be enough for me?"

There are so many things that God has provided me with that I'm thankful for. To start with; His son, a great husband who is a great provider, great family and the list goes on. Why do I not see all these things and why is ALL that not enough?? Why is it that I feel like if we get/have a baby that that will be enough? Over time won't I just do this all over again and say well if we get/have another child that will be enough? Why isn't God enough? God should be more than enough.

Its so easy to praise God when things are going just like I planned or wanted but not so easy when they don't go the way I thought they would. I'm trying to work on this more...

that God is the one I run to and that He and all He's provided me with is enough.



"Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment