We had our first foster care training session today. The first of 9. It wasn't too bad actually. We walked in not knowing what to expect at all. Since it was the first day it was a lot of intro stuff. There were so many people registered for the class they ended up separating us into two classes. I'm not sure about the other class but we were the only ones in ours who didn't have any kids.
The more I think about foster care the more I want to be involved with it. However, we don't think fostering right now is the best idea. Its something so totally different than raising a biological child. Most times these children have some type of special need. Whether it be a medical issue, abuse or neglect it requires more knowledge and resources than raising a biological child. With us not having any experience raising children we're not sure jumping into foster care would be the best for the child(ren) or for us. We'll continue to evaluate this as we go through each session of the training. Right now we're leaning towards adopting first and then later on down the road either adopt a child from the foster system or do foster care.
One thing they brought up that had never occured to us was that your not just taking in a child temporarily. You are also helping to support their birth family so the child can be reunited with them.
Overall, it went really well. On a side note a lady in the class ended up passing out due to low blood sugar. We were taking a 15 minute break and I was walking back from the bathroom and I could see two guys trying to get her on a chair. I thought her leg had just given out but then they were saying she was diabetic. In a matter of 30 seconds she was unresponsive and breathing weird. After a few pieces of chocolate and some orange juice she was responsive again but they still took her to the ER. Crazy thing is we were located in a building that was connected to the hospital and after calling 911 it took over 5 minutes for someone to get there to help.
They didn't let us go home without lots of paperwork and reading material. I provided a picture below.
No comments:
Post a Comment