I never would have thought the path to pregnancy would or could be this hard, maybe even impossible at this point. Thing is, it could get even harder and more frustrating. We never know the plans God has for us, but I would have to say that up to this point in my life this has been the hardest thing I've had to go through. The only comfort I have is knowing that God knows and understands what we're going through and He will always give us the strength to handle this. (And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7)
I never came across those acronyms listed in the title until recently. If anybody reading this isn't familiar here is what they are. TTC-trying to conceive. TTA-trying to avoid. TTW-trying to whatever. BD-baby dance aka make love. POAS-pee on a stick. BFP-big fat positive. BFN-big fat negative. All these were totally foreign to me until about a month or two ago. It seems that recently we have just been swarmed with all things, thoughts and emotions dealing with infertility.
I think most of the people reading this know we have been trying to get pregnant for 12 months now, but if there are some reading this who don't know I'll start from the beginning. I haven't decided how much detail to go into with this but the main point of me writing this blog is to get all this stuff off my chest and just type it all out. It helps me feel better! Also, if someone comes across this blog that has a similar problem or is just dealing with infertility hopefully this can be an encouragement to them and they will know they're not alone in this. So I guess if its too detailed I'll say sorry now.
We had talked about having kids many times. We both knew we wanted to have kids at some point and would like to have three or four, Lord willing. We kept going back and forth on whether to start trying or hold off. When we first got married we wanted to start trying but decided we should wait since we didn't know whether or not we would be moving away from IL. Once we moved to Minnesota we didn't talk about it a whole lot. Figured we would just enjoy our time, just the two of us.
In January of 2009 I skipped a period. We wondered at that time if maybe I was pregnant. After seeing my primary doctor in Minnesota we came to the conclusion that it was an anovulatory cycle (no ovulation) and I had just skipped that month. It was after that first appointment that we decided we would for sure start trying to get pregnant. Little did we know that a year later we would be exhausted with this and still not have a baby. I went ahead and made an appointment with an OB/GYN just to check things out and see if anything was wrong since we would try to get pregnant at some time in the future. I went to that appointment at the end of March and just basically talked with the doctor. He drew some labs and then wanted me to come back in mid April for an ultrasound. The ultrasound came back normal and all but one thing on the bloodwork came back normal. He didn't really explain just said that the ratio of LH to FSH came back reversed. He said we could start Clomid a drug that is taken to help induce ovulation. I asked about PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and he said he wouldn't "hang his hat" on that diagnosis at that time. He said we could also just keep trying on our own for a while if we wanted and then later start the medicine if we felt like we wanted to. After talking about it with Aaron we went with the decision of trying on our own since we had really just started. We figured that if we hadn't gotten pregnant by the time we moved back we would go see a doctor in IL.
Well that is it for now!
Sammy Jo, thanks for following! I love finding that people I meet in real life also blog!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your honesty and vulnerability. Praying for you tonight as I think of you -
Hayley