Aaron and I have always felt pretty firm in our decision to not do IVF if that was something recommended to us. We don't feel comfortable with the way the procedure is performed and also the fact that you have such a higher risk for multiples. Doctors would maybe recommend selective reduction if they feel the that number of babies you are carrying is unhealthy for you and the babies. Selective reduction is basically what it says you select which egg(s) or as I refer to them baby(babies) you want to dispose of.
Well here is a little excerpt from the book "In Vitro Fertilization" that I received at the Women's Lifestyle Show. This book further confirmed our thoughts and feelings on the fact that we would NOT consider IVF.
Here we go...
"Selective reduction of pregnancy is usually performed prior to completion of the third month of gestation. It involves the injection of a chemical under guidance by ultrasound directly into one or more developing concepti so as to reduce the total number (usually to twins). This is soon followed by absorption of the products of conception by the body. Properly performed by an expert selective reduction of pregnancy rarely (2-7% of cases) results in total loss of the pregnancy."
We have a few problems with this....
1.) Usually before the end of the third month?? That seems pretty far into it as far as I'm concerned.
2.) Injection of a chemical directly into "concepti"(nice choice of words here)
3.) Absorption of the products (another nice choice of words)
All I could say after reading that was WOW!!! There are so many things wrong with that paragraph. As a friend of mine put it that is abortion with a different name to it.
...or you could just be like some people end end up with 6 kids at once, right? Hee-hee... I don't blame you for not wanting to go that route.
ReplyDelete