Thursday, August 2, 2012

Wee Hours Of The Morning

Its 1:30 in the morning Thursday. I can't sleep its been such a crazy day. The day started off just like any other day. As far as having things planned, Kya had a grooming appointment at 12:30 and I had just a few other errands to run. I was already running slightly behind the schedule I had in my head. I was driving to my next errand when my phone went off and it was the ringtone I have for our foster agency. Our worker was on the other end of the line and said she had a call on a placement. It was a 4 year old boy and his 3 year old brother. We felt hesitant because just a week ago we had a placement that didn't work out. It was so frustrating, exhausting, challenging. Since that placement we lowered our age range to 0-younger than 2. We also said we would only take in one at a time. I spoke with our worker about these changes on Monday and she said that was fine. Therefore, when we got the call today we were hesitant. Knowing what we just went through and what those kids just had to go through by being moved again, we didn't want to end up in the same situation.

I got as much information as I could and said I would call Aaron. She said that was fine but to call her back ASAP!! I called Aaron and he didn't answer so I texted him the words CALL ME NOW! When he gets a text like that he knows its something regarding a placement. He called right away and we were both so hesitant but at the same time wanted to say yes. We were trying to remind ourselves that we didn't just go into foster care with the intent to adopt. We also went into this wanting to help children, provide them with a temporary loving home when they desperately need that. Our worker said that they would work on a "back-up" family in case this didn't work out. She knew we were a little hesitant. She said they wouldn't pull the kids from us though if it did end up working out.

We ended up saying yes and an hour later went down to the agency to pick up the 4 year old. The 3 year old should be joining us sometime in the next few days. It was crazy trying to get to the agency on time to pick the older one up. I still had to run an errand for my grandma, run home and get our booster seat, drop the dog off (in case it took a long time at the agency). I stopped to run the errand for my grandma and thinking I would just run in quick I left the dog in the car. Well, it's been beastly hot out but she had just got groomed so she was with me so I had to leave her in the car. I thought about leaving it running but figured I would be back in under 2 minutes. Poor thing had to sit there for 10-15 minutes while I picked up the stuff. When I got back to the car she was definitely hot and panting. I made it home, got the booster seat, met Aaron at home and just right back in the car. We dropped the dog off hoping she would be fine and cool down quickly and then ran to drop stuff off at my grandmas. By this time we were running about 10 minutes late. Once we finally get close to the office there was construction. We ended up showing up over 15 minutes late but it worked out.

Once we left the office we ran and got some gas in the car (light came on while stuck in construction), picked up some Mcdonald's for dinner and headed home. Once we got home he had a hard time coming into the house. He would walk just on the door step and then stop. He didn't want to come inside, so we ended up eating dinner on the front step. We played outside for a while and then managed to get him inside.

My in-laws came over for a while and my mother-in law and I along with the little guy ran to Wal-Mart to get clothes, shoes and food. He only had 1 pair of pjs, 1 pair of underwear, and 2 left feet for shoes.

So far this placement has been totally different than our last one. So far it seems to be working out much better! We'll see how the rest of the week and weekend goes. We'll probably be trying to stay low-key and hang around home.

We're so thankful for this opportunity the Lord has given us.

4 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray for you guys and these little ones, I am in awe of how the Lord is working so far and am thankful for how it's gone <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just imagine you and Barb and the little guy at Walmart. tear....<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful you guys can do this. It gives me so much joy to think about how you will be able to minister to them in this tough time. We will be praying!

    ReplyDelete