Friday, November 2, 2012

Praying With Them And For Them

Each night before we put the boys to bed we pray with them. At first it was hard to get them to sit still and not keep interrupting. They do much better now. The little one still keeps his eyes open and kind of gazes off in space but I've noticed that the older one really closes his eyes tight and folds his hands and bows his head. We usually thank God for the day, food, safety, other siblings, their Mom and Dad, our family, the opportunity the Lord gave us to care for the boys, and most of all the gift of His Son Jesus who died for us so that we could be saved.

Even though we had been praying with them every night we were curious if they really were listening or understanding what we were saying. Yesterday, I was getting the boys ready for a nap and the older one came and asked can we say our prayers? I have to admit that usually at nap time we don't do prayers so I said, "No we need to get laid down it is getting late." He said, "Ok I'll just say them to myself." I said, Of course you can!" I heard him saying, "Thank you for the day, the food, my mother and father in law names, Aaron and Hammy, sister's names, his Mom and Dad." We walked into the little one's room to lay him down and I said, "Ok let's go ahead and say prayers." When we sat down the older boy said, "I want to say them." So I said, "Ok." He started praying and saying many of the same things above. When he stopped I started praying and when I said, "Most of all Lord thank you for Your Son Jesus who died...." I must have paused or swallowed or something because he immediately said, "For us." I couldn't believe it! He must actually be listening when we pray at night! Of course I realize he may not be understanding it all but I think he understands more than we think. Also, I think its good that they hear us praying for their Mom and Dad, their siblings and also for them. It shows the boys that we care about their birth family and want to support that relationship and also care and love them very much! 

I pray that these are things that will stay with them forever. I pray that no matter what happens the Lord will work in their hearts and reveal Himself to them and that they would trust Him and follow His Son.

Being able to care for them has been such a blessing to us! We LOVE having them with us and they are SO much fun! Many times people ask, "How can you do that? How can you take these kids in knowing they could be returned to their family, you will get attached and how will you give them back?" Well, its true we are definitely attached and love these boys with everything but even if we had biological kids we aren't guaranteed them for life. The Lord gives AND takes away. Many parents have kids that end up passing away whether it be car accident, illness, etc. Do you think those parents would go back and change having that child? Absolutely not! These kids in foster care need so much love and attention and I feel like that would just be me being selfish if all I thought about was my feelings. Of course it will be hard and sad to give these kids back but just knowing we stepped up and cared for them is a great feeling! I would NEVER change having them here regardless of how short/long their stay is. These kids deserve loving/caring/stable families who can help them heal/grow/learn. I'm so thankful the Lord led us down this path and pray that He would continue to give us strength as we travel this unfamiliar (to us anyways) road.

No comments:

Post a Comment