I've been reading a book lately called "Calm My Anxious Heart" and I've been encouraged quite a bit while going through it. I haven't gotten very far but in one of the paragraphs in the first chapter it gives a lady's prescription for contentment. This lady was a missionary in Africa so her living conditions were very primitive, it was very hot and humid and she was living away from all the things she was familar with back in the States. These five statements were her prescription for contentment and are very convicting. I fail at these daily but they are a good reminder for me and something I need to work on.
1.) Never allow yourself to complain about anything-not even the weather.
2.) Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
3.) Never compare your lot with another's.
4.) Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
5.) Never dwell on tomorrow-remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13
No comments:
Post a Comment